If you are planning on attending a New Year’s celebration and drinking (no telling what else), you may want to take a few precautions to lessen your chances of starting the New Year with an alcohol-related hangover. Those of you who are not professional alcoholics like me the best way to keep a clear head is not to drink at all and to be the designated driver for your crazy drink friends. But that takes the fun out of New Year’s Eve. Keep in mind that alcohol is a strong toxin to both the liver and the nervous system, and it irritates the upper digestive tract and urinary system as well. Blah Blah Blah… If you do drink, Dr. Weil wants you to remember:
1. Moderation is the best way to avoid hangovers – make sure to pace yourself.
2. Eat food if you have more than a drink or two.
3. Avoid dehydration (and cut down on alcohol intake) by drinking as much water as possible while you’re drinking alcohol.
4. Take a B-complex vitamin supplement plus extra thiamine (100 mg) to counter the B-vitamin depletion caused by alcohol.
5. Choose beverages that are “cleaner.” Some distilled beverages are rich in types of alcohol called congeners – toxic impurities that can greatly add to your woes. Bourbon, rum and cognac are particularly dirty, while vodka, which is just pure alcohol and water, is the cleanest.
Basically get over to Whole Foods now and prepare for your fun night out. NYE is on a Friday this year so stock up because you may need those B Vitamins Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Funday.
Since we are the Official Gay New Year’s Eve Blog make sure you read our other NYE posts or we will punch you in the face and give you a hangover! Happy New Years 2011!